Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Revisiting "Week One" of my course in instructional design.

In January, I posted this note about my learning style in a private discussion log:

I have an unusual mix of strengths and weaknesses.

If I have a “gift,” it is hyper focusing. I have learned to find "that feeling" before I read. People have told me they get that feeling when they read a novel for fun. Some people call the feeling "flow."

Sometimes "flow" does not come easily. When I have a deadline and I must do a lot of quality reading in a short time, it is common for me to go for a long walk and wear myself out a little, eat light snacks, and take frequent naps between chapters. I will do whatever it takes to find that hyper-focused state of mind because once in that state of mind, I read quickly, and I retain what I read.

I have noticed that my ability to recall details improves over time. For me, something “gels” in the weeks following learning new information.

My learning works like the construction of a building. After the walls are in place, we put layers of material on top of those walls. Plaster, paint, paneling and wall paper all add to the strength of the wall. A wall that could have been pulled apart when it was just a framework has now become sturdy. I assume everyone learns the way I learn, but I could be wrong.

When I teach, I build a framework to which I add details that strengthen the initial construction. I try to find variety because “paint” doesn’t stick to some surfaces, but “paneling” might work well. My “paint” and “paneling” might be a video or a song or a painting, or architecture. Sometimes I think the learner needs to have a hand in building their own framework.

With my own home-schooled students, I have required them to teach others. My son taught a series of classes on web design and HTML at our local library. Both he and my older daughter helped me teach my ESL classes (I volunteer teaching English to immigrants).... [The rest of this paragraph was removed to protect the privacy of others.]

I liken helping a learner to build his own framework of understanding to Socrates’ idea of “discussion,” in which the learner is lead to a conclusion through a series of investigations rather than being fed information. I liken the “framework” itself to John Locke’s idea that learning happens step-by-step. I liken it to Skinner’s thoughts that learning must be reinforced and to Gagne’s conclusion that learning is a process that is brought about through a series of events. I liken learning through teaching to Vygotsky’s ideas about community learning.

I have enough experience with “seat of the pants” lesson planning that I know the value of well-considered lessons. I tend to think in terms of creating a goal, breaking it down and creating a variety of activities to construct and reinforce each concept, but my best work has always followed Gagne’s nine step outline. Unfortunately I tend to gloss over those steps. Having been reintroduced to his process, I intend to follow it. I look forward to learning more about the relationship between gaming and education.

1 comment:

  1. This entry was posted to a different location on 1/06/2010, but was posted here on 2/21/2010. I changed the date of this post to reflect when it was originally written.

    I posted the entry because I intend to comment on it, and I wanted readers to be able to see the original post.

    David Lloyd

    ReplyDelete