Thursday, January 20, 2011

Communicating Effectively


My assignment today is to blog about how I perceive a short message when it is delivered in an email versus over the phone and in person. The message states that a report is missing and that data from that report is needed. It requests an estimate about when the report can be ready, or more specifically, when the data that was to have been in the report could be provided. (“Communicating with stakeholders”)
Possibly because I have a minor learning disability, I did not perceive a difference in the message when it was delivered in different ways. I prefer email over the other forms of communication in this exercise, because I can get a general idea of the message at a glance, and I can re-read the details as needed for precision. I generally read everything this way, summarizing and outlining material on first glance, then going back for detail, the second time skimming over some paragraphs while focusing intently on others. I also prefer email because it presents the least interruption if I am in the midst of a project. Emails are often easier to handle quickly.
The voice mail example was my least favorite vehicle of delivery because I generally have to listen to voice mails repeatedly to catch all the details. Depending on the voice mail system, they can be tedious to use. Gathering the details from a voice mail can require replaying the message several times. I prefer a message I can interact with, like an email or a live person.
The last vehicle of delivery in the assignment was person-to-person. I have mixed feelings about person-to-person communication. One-on-one communication is effective for me, but I find formal meetings distracting and inefficient. If I need information from a meeting, I usually have to take additional time reviewing meeting notes and researching gaps in the notes to get the complete information I need.
References:

2 comments:

  1. David,
    I absolutely love your graphic. It brings back memories of days gone by. A picture says so much. Although I usually prefer email because it provides a written documentation of the communication and I can file it and refer back to it to refresh my lack of memory, I felt that this example was very weak. It was wordy and failed to state the purpose up front. This could easily lead to the receiver disregarding or even discarding it, leading to a delay in much needed information. In this instance, I felt the voicemail communicated the urgency of the message due to the tone and inflection in the sender's voice. Normally, I agree that voicemail is annoying and time-consuming.

    Regardless of the method of communication, feedback is the key to the determination by the sender of whether or not the message
    has been received in the intended form. Without feedback, the sender cannot be sure the communication was ever received or understood (Erven, n.d.).

    Erven, B. (n.d.). Overcoming barriers to communication. Retrieved 1/22/2011 from http://www.aede.osu.edu/people/erven.1/HRM/communication.pdf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    We meet again. I'm looking forward to your insightful discussion threads this session.

    ReplyDelete